Rural Meals On Wheels Program
Rural Meals on Wheels provides two different meal options in Bennett, Strasburg, Watkins, Byers and Deer Trail. Senior Hub volunteers pick up the meals at one of the four local community freezers and delivers them to clients once a week.
Option One (“Original”) provides a nutritious pre-packaged frozen meal, in groups of either five or seven meals. Delivery is once a week.
Option Two (“The Market Basket”) provides ten frozen meals per month, plus fruits and vegetables, milk, bread, cereals, dried fruits, crackers, peanut butter, and canned goods. Delivery is once a month.
- Staff members will visit each new participant to ensure that they qualify for Rural Meals on Wheels, and help them complete all the required paperwork.
- Clients are 60 years of age or older and living in rural Adams or Arapahoe Counties.
- Many will have limited support available to them.
- Each meal is low in fat, cholesterol and sodium, and provides at least one-third of the recommended daily nutrition for older adults.
- Because older adults require fewer calories but more of some vitamins and minerals, the meals are nutrient dense and provide a high amount of vitamins and minerals without the added calories.
- The meals are delivered by friendly, dedicated volunteers who also provide a much-needed weekly contact that is very helpful in monitoring the well-being of the more isolated program participants.
For more information about the Rural Meals On Wheels Program, please call Katy Hickson at (303) 817‐0570 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.